Friday, January 14, 2011

a city in mourning

The night Brady and I arrived in Tucson with his parents and all of our possessions, it was pouring rain. We drove to our new home and went to unlock it and the realized the only key we had was to the mailbox. Luckily our realtor responded to our phone call kind of late on a Friday night and said he would bring the right key to us. He said to meet him at Safeway on Ina and Oracle. We got there before he did and sat that there counting our blessings that we had made it and that soon we would be home.

On Saturday, a young man opened fire at this very Safeway killing six people and injuring 14 others. I have never before been so close to such a tragedy. We all can remember where we were on September 11th. I can remember listening to NPR all day at work following Virginia Tech. But to have been to the locations that are all over national news and to see your city on the front page of the paper for such an event is surreal and frightening.

On Wednesday afternoon we were watching the news as President Obama's motorcade passed (less than a mile from us) on its way to the hospital to visit with victims before a memorial service at U of A. There were 13,000 at the event and 13,000 more in overflow in the football stadium. I thought it was a tasteful, powerful event. The most moving part was when President Obama described each of the six people who had died.

"In Christina we see all of our children. So curious, so trusting, so energetic and full of magic. So deserving of our love. And so deserving of our good example...I want us to live up to her expectations. I want our democracy to be as good as she imagined it. All of us--we should do everything we can to make sure this country lives up to our children's expectations."

She was born on September 11th and her baby picture was featured in a book called Faces of Hope. Next to her picture there were two quotes: "I hope you help those in need." and "I hope you jump in rain puddles." I was tearful as I thought about her and her family. What a loss.

I have recognized the biggest lesson from this experience for me is to treat others kindly and with respect. To make each day count and to tell those you love that you love and adore them. Yesterday, I hadn't felt the baby move all day. I was so worried for this little one that I am carrying. At times I am surprised at how much I love and adore her. Already. But I do. Luckily last night I finally got some good strong kicks. It was as if she was saying: "I'm okay Mom." I am so glad that she is.

3 comments:

  1. Well written, Elizabeth. The closest I've been to such a public tragedy is Columbine. We lived a few miles away. My oldest spent the day in a locked-down elementary school, while I sat glued to the news with my other babies around me until I was allowed to go pick him up from school. It is amazing how communities process, grieve and eventually (partially) heal after such a tragedy.
    Hey, Elizabeth, I love ya.
    ;)

    j

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling, Thank you for your tender thoughts. No event or tragedy will every "change" our whole country, but each one changes a few hearts forever. I hope mine will be one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't realized how close you were to this. I also now remember how differently things hit you when national news takes place in your back yard. It has been awhile for us but several events stand out from our years in DC.

    ReplyDelete