Friday, July 22, 2011

saturday in the city

I am behind on my posts of our weekend adventures in Los Angeles. The weekend before last, we decided to spend time exploring downtown and avoid getting in the car. Some of you may have heard about Los Angeles' 'Carmageddon'. The 405 was closed for two days (Saturday and Sunday) in order for an overpass to be demolished and people were kind of beside themselves about it. Many companies had employees working from home on Friday in preparation for the epic traffic jam. (By the way, reports from Brady's co-workers the week after who ventured onto the freeways said that everything was smooth, I guess all the hype worked). On the way to the metro station we met this woman. Or rather, appreciated her well-chosen ensemble.

Our first stop was Grand Central Market, Los Angeles' oldest and largest open air market. We mostly walked around and explored the stands and shops. I had fun with my camera capturing the food for sale.



I liked this guy's look. And that he was reading Esquire.

As we left the market Brady asked me, "Do you think we could look more like tourists?" And I said, "Probably. We could be those guys," pointing out this couple.

We then headed to the Toy District where we planned on exploring and getting a toy for our baby girl to remember her time in Los Angeles of course.

It wasn't quite what I thought it would be. I think I had pictured store after store resembling something like FAO Schwarz. Instead there were a lot of street vendors and tiny shops selling anything from baby shower supplies to first communion paraphernalia. We didn't end up finding anything appropriate for Harper. The vast majority of the toys for sale were in bulk, we could have bought 6 dozen plastic princess wands for $20, but decided against it because of the extra weight in the car ride back to Tucson. We were more intrigued with all the little vendors set up under umbrellas and on fold up card tables.

After the toy district it was time to hunt for food, so back we went to the Grand Central Market, where we happened upon some public restrooms (yes!!!) and a little restaurant with some harper-friendly items on the menu. We dined with the pigeons at the foot of Angel's Flight, a 100-year-old trolley that takes its passengers up Bunker Hill.

With full tummies and smiles on our faces, we got some good family photos to remember our adventure.



As dusk came upon us we began for home, but we hit a small roadblock on the way. Or maybe I should say that it hit me. Some pigeons flew overhead and it hit me, you can't describe how it feels, but when it happens to you, you know exactly what it is. Pigeon Poo. Fortunately for me, Harper lent me a wipe so I didn't have to walk home with 100% of it in my hair.

It was a good adventure.

2 comments:

  1. Love your photos. What a fun adventure. Harper is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harper is sooooo cute! I love the pictures of her.

    ReplyDelete