Thursday, April 7, 2011

our sweet harper

We are so happy to have Harper home. I have wanted to get more pictures up for the last few days, but my time has been spent almost solely on figuring out how to get Harper to eat. Because she was so early, we spent a lot of time in the hospital focusing on this. She had a really hard time latching on. We are still supplementing a bit with formula to try and put some weight back on her. We had our first doctor's appointment yesterday and she was down to 5 lbs 8 oz (a ten percent weight loss) which is concerning. They did a test for jaundice and her levels are up from the hospital. They are going to deliver a bilirubin blanket today. We are grateful for an amazing pediatrician who is being proactive with Harper's care.

I got sad today realizing Harper is already changing. This stage goes way too fast. Poor Brady is in the middle of midterms and it makes me sad that he has to miss even a moment with her. My mom arrived on Monday evening just hours after we got home from the hospital. It has meant the world to me to have her here, especially with Brady being so busy.

We are loving this time together and getting to know our new little girl. I keep looking at her and telling her in awe, "I can't believe you are here." Until very close to the end, I didn't really think I was in labor or believe that she was really coming. Brady and I had talked about how it would be nice if she were a little early so she didn't show up right in the middle of a final. Now I feel bad because she heard us and jumped the gun a little.

I had said before I would miss being pregnant. I do miss feeling her kicks, but now that I get to cuddle and kiss her, I am thrilled to be a mom. Sometimes she will kick her legs while she is sleeping and I recognize the rhythm. I see now what she was doing in there.


I am absolutely loving watching Brady be a dad. He is so sweet. The other night, Harper was sleeping next to him as he was studying. As he read, he was playing with her tiny hands and sometimes would just stop and stare at them and at her. Brady is head-over-heels for his 'Harper girl.'





Going home

4 comments:

  1. Brady, I cried tears of joy to see the picture of you kissing little Harper. Wow, it is amazing to see your son become a father!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such sweet pictures! She is a seriously beautiful baby...just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet baby girl! What a beautiful little family! They change so much so quickly - it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete